Posted 20th September 2013
We hope you are all well, and we’re sorry it’s been so long since the last newsletter!
We had a wonderful and hectic summer. We played lots of gigs, met many new friends and have far too many people, places and inanimate objects to thank individually, but you know who you are. We won’t say too much more just yet as we both have ‘Festival Diaries’ coming up for you as soon as we have completed our final festival of the year. (Ingleton Folk Weekend) The rest of the autumn looks like this...
Thurs 3rd Oct 2013 The Nags Head Folk Club, Wrexham
Sat 5th Oct 2013 Ingleton Folk Weekend
Fri 18th Oct 2013 The Shakespeare, Sheffield
Thurs 24th Oct 2013 The Hungry Horse Folk Club, Wirral
Sat 26th Oct 2013 The Newhampton Folk Club, Wolverhampton
Fri 1st Nov 2013 Masham Arts Festival
Fri 8th Nov 2013 The Bacca Pipes Folk Club, Keighley
Fri 6th Dec 2013 Northwich Folk Club
Sadly we were unable to attend Stroud Folk Festival this past weekend due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the duo’s control. We are working with the organisers of the festival to provide a replacement event - which will take place early in the new year – which we are already looking forward to.
In Other News…
- As well as festivals and club gigs over the summer we’ve got up to some other exciting things, have become attached to several motorway service stations and ended up in some unusual places, perhaps most notably a gig in the Houses of Parliament at the start of this month.
- We are delighted with the CD sales this year (thank you all!) and Fellside Records recently announced that “The Queen’s Lover” is their fastest-selling release since Spiers and Boden’s “Bellow” which was released in 2003.
- Earlier in the year we were also live in session on Mark Radcliffe’s BBC Radio 2 Folk Show. We are pleased to announce that our live performances from that session are now available to download here.
- There is also a brand new member of the duo. Greg has recently started playing a lovely guitar made by Steve Suggit at Chapel Guitars. Steve and his brother John are based in Yorkshire and make beautiful instruments. They also offer a comprehensive repair and refurbishment service. Please do take a look at their site here.
- Many of our dear pals have released fantastic new albums very recently or have albums coming out in the near future. Should you wish to know more about these, Greg has a week off so is more than happy to compile a list of “albums by our friends and others that you should definitely go and buy”……. However, we especially need to tell you about an album by a particular set of pals. On February 22nd 2014, we will be supporting the fantastic Young’uns at the release of their forthcoming album. The evening will be great fun and we are very much looking forward to being part of it. More info and tickets can be found here.
Though we don’t have a release date for you just yet, we can tell you that we will be recording the second album at the end of October. We are looking forward to working with Fellside Records once again to produce an album in which we hope to further develop our sound. We also have the fabulous Elly Lucas on board for design and photography with the intention of making an album which really hangs together from its looks to its sound. Elly is a great friend of ours and is a fine photographer and musician. You can see some of her pictorial work here.
We will also be releasing our 2014 dates and plans for you very shortly.
Greg & Ciaran